This is a global message which can be dismissed by pressing the button below. Once closed, it will remain hidden until a new "Message cookie" value is set.

Welcome to Snowbike Online

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
UtahSnow

Anyone have any seat time on a mototrax

Does anyone have any seat time on the moto trax?  I have a 129 mountain on my bike but I need more snow to ride it, looks good in the garage, but would look much better in the snow if there was any.  Just wondering what your thoughts and impressions are. As soon as I get some snow and get out I'll post my thoughts. 

Cant wait to see how you like the MotoTrax. Would love to see some pics and or video when ever you get a chance to get it out!

Got my kit out yesterday for a good shake down.  It works!  Can't compare it to other kits because I've never ridden one, but I was pleased with how it shredded some fairly deep pow.  No problems climbing in 2nd, 3rd and even 4th.  Got into 5th on the groomed trails but it was quite a handful to pilot on the groomed.  Going to do some adjustments and try again.  Overall it was a blast and I was able to hang with the mountain sleds pretty well off trail and on.  I'm sure they could've ditched me but I'm also a newb and they were all very experienced.  

2017 enduro kit, 2017 yz450fx. Limited ride in 12-18" fairly dense snow. 2" track hooks up good. First time I've had track ratchet on a snowbike, hard pull in 4th or 5th. Kit seem a bit more like a bike, let's say flickable. Leans easy feels light. Jury still out on the ski. I felt it was less planted or stable than the TS ski. Front end slipped around more than the TS. More testing necessary. 

2017 enduro, on a 2011 ktm 300xc

got 5 miles or so in 2-3' of dry Alaska powder at 10 degrees yesterday. Kit seems to tractor very well, ski did seem to ride pretty deep in the snow but it was very loose snow.  ended up with carb icing problems and switched back to my 163" axys for the rest of the day. 

Also I had a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket and it was geared way too high, could only pull 1st and second gear. Going to add a carb jacket (already have avid carb heater) and drop back to a 12 tooth counter sprocket. 

Cant wait to try it again! 

New conditions for me yesterday on the enduro.  Really beat on it as hard as I could and it performed very well.   No problems at all.  Poor visibility made for some unexpected drops and bumps.  Can't wait to get it jumping.  Still learning how to turn the thing though.  Fun stuff.   

IMG_3256.JPG

So I've got about 5 rides on my kit and I finally have sometime to give my initial thoughts on the kit.  I have a 129 mountain kit, a few years ago I had a 2-moto which I sold about 3 years ago.  Last year I rented a TS twice and new I wanted one, they were so so much better in every way compared to the 2moto.  I was set on buying a used 2016 ST this past fall.  When I came across moto-trax, there kit was about the same price new as I could get a used TS and I really liked what the they were doing with the kit and it came with a 2 year warranty so I snow checked one.  Here's my thoughts so far, I have been lucky enough only to ride with it in some pretty deep snow (2-3') with not much base, so take that into consideration.  So far I really like the nimble feeling it has, it leans great and feels very light.  It took a while to get the strut rod dialed in, I'm on my third one, the first two they sent me were to short and the bike seemed to want to trench just a little, with the longer strut rod it floats great and really stays on top of the snow.  My thought is that it might do better with a 2.5" track in the really deep snow.  The 2" track just doesn't seem to bit like a 2.5" would in the really deep.  I have ridden with a TS ST and Camso this year and both could go up steep stuff that I couldn't, i think because of the 2.5 track.  I'm sure it will do much better in snow that has a base and might like the 2" lugs better but have yet to ride in snow with a base.  My wish for moto-trax is to somehow get the Camso 2.5" track on there kit!!  I think this would make it an unbeatable kit in most any snow condition.  Also what I noticed with my kit is that is has a steeper approach angle on the track then the others.  I don't know if this is good or bad.  I do know that with my 129 sitting next to a 120 TS it has about the same amount of track that actually touches the snow.  Maybe this helps it get on top of the snow and gives it more of nimble feel?  I think the single shock and the pivoting track really help give it a great nimble feeling ride.

Also, I really like how it handles on the trail, no complaints here, when they say "dirt bike feel" I don't think any snow bike can ever really feel like a dirt bike especially on the trail, not a bad thing but with so much more contact surface and drag on the track and ski I don't know how it could really feel like a bike.  Every snow bike I have ridden steers hard on the trail and likes to grab a little bit but that is fine by me because that is not where we ride them if we can avoid it.  With this kit it is definitely not a painful and dreadful experience like my 2moto was ridding on the trail.  I also think the pivoting track helps with trail manners as well.

As for the ski, it does seem to wash out a little bit in deep powder with no base, but maybe all skis are like this?  From what I've read it seems ski pressure is critical, I may have a little more tweaking to that will help this.  I'm interested to see how it does with a base as well.  Right now I do think it is an all around good ski, it would be interesting to try other to compare (if anyone has a TS or yeti ski they want to trade for a day i'm game!).  I'm also getting an airpro for my forks, and i think this will help the ski hold an edge better because the fork won't compress and dive as much on turns, but will report back when I get one.  I really like how the ski mounts to the forks as well, no clamping on the tubes and is really easy to get on and off. I put my front tire on when loading and unloading and it only takes about 5 mins to swap.

All in all i'm happy with the kit, it handles very well, my only gripe is I wish it had a 2.5" track.   I would also like to say that moto-trax has AWESOME customer service, they have always answered the phone and helped with any problems I've had, when I broke the brake cover when i hit a rock they had a new one to me in two days.   

Here are a few pics from the rides, first couple picture are before the last strut rod was installed and the new ski brackets which pushed the ski back.  The last one has is as longer rod and new fork brackets.

IMG00049.JPG

20170106_150348.jpg

20170106_143827.jpg

20161227_131055.jpg

Screenshot_2017-01-20-01-02-32.png

Utahsnow, I have a 120 enduro with the 2". Came off 16' 120 TS. I have similar feelings about the MT kit. I put a ts ski on it with center carbide and it is a better kit than the ts on the trail and the tight areas with hard or based up snow. In sugar with no base it sticks and trenches easier than my TS. I too feel the approach angle is partially to blame along with the two inch track. I have ridden in MI and ID. Hope to ride WY soon with slight changes to suspension. In its current form, it is a great kit for everything but deep baseless power. Hopefully someone tries a 2.5 track. 

On 1/23/2017 at 7:09 AM, Dooman92 said:

Utahsnow, I have a 120 enduro with the 2". Came off 16' 120 TS. I have similar feelings about the MT kit. I put a ts ski on it with center carbide and it is a better kit than the ts on the trail and the tight areas with hard or based up snow. In sugar with no base it sticks and trenches easier than my TS. I too feel the approach angle is partially to blame along with the two inch track. I have ridden in MI and ID. Hope to ride WY soon with slight changes to suspension. In its current form, it is a great kit for everything but deep baseless power. Hopefully someone tries a 2.5 track. 

I have taken a 2.6 Polaris Track and spliced it to fit. I should have it all put together this weekend and I can tell you the difference. 

Im also looking to put the TS or yeti center ski skagg on and see what that does.

The kit is a blast the deep snow it's work for me to keep up hopefully this will fix it.  2017 the snow has been amazing!  I have not ridden on a firm base yet the snow keeps a coming.

On 1/29/2017 at 11:53 AM, Sledhappy said:

I have taken a 2.6 Polaris Track and spliced it to fit. I should have it all put together this weekend and I can tell you the difference. 

Im also looking to put the TS or yeti center ski skagg on and see what that does.

The kit is a blast the deep snow it's work for me to keep up hopefully this will fix it.  2017 the snow has been amazing!  I have not ridden on a firm base yet the snow keeps a coming.

How did the 2.6 track do? Did it help in the powder?  Did you have to notch it for chain clearance?