This is a global message which can be dismissed by pressing the button below. Once closed, it will remain hidden until a new "Message cookie" value is set.

Welcome to Snowbike Online

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Norma Stitz

Electrical switching lighting idea

So my bike is street legal, so I have a true hi/lo beam headlamp.  I was thinking about replacing the bulb with a led to save juice from the stator, although I have a fat stator so maybe not a priority.  But, I also thought it may be cool to detach one wire to the headlamp leaving me with either hi or lo only, so I'd be headlight off unless needed, and then using the dark position juice to run heated grips or heated battery under the seat.  That way if I'm using the headlight I can't use the grips and vice versa.  

Opinions? 

If your bike is street legal with a good stator you don't need to conserve the power. First the led draws less current than the incandesant light and if your bike has a permanent magnet stator, most do, current output is constant at a given rpm. So, if you don't use the current/power for lights it is dumped to ground through the the regulator to control output. So, you have the capacity and it either lights the light or heats your grips or goes to ground. If your curious if you have enough capacity, turn on all power using options , max draw, then check voltage at the battery at idle or just above. If you have greater than battery voltage your stator is covering/supplying the entire load. 

Excellent thanks.  I guess my concern was mainly revolving around repeated starting in cold temps drawing down my batt and wanting maximum input to replenish it in short time.  But, honestly, you're right.  I have a fatty stator which hasn't displayed any sign of weakness so I should let well enough alone.  

Side note, I'm using a cheap Amazon Chinese lithium battery also and it's been pretty great so far even in the teens today.  

If you're concerned about starting, just pack a boost pack...quite small and useful for the kickstart-less bikes out there.. As long as the bike is running, you've got the power!..